The Cosatu Office Bearers will hold a Press Conference on Sunday, 8 June at 11 00 am. The Presser will be held at Cosatu Boardroom, Community House 1st Floor, and 41 Salt River Road. Salt River.
The following issues will be covered in the Press Conference, in detail:
- The water crisis in Cape Town and the exorbitant charges by the City that are going to lead to a Cosatu Strike
- The public transport crisis is having a devastating effect on workers and the poor, also raising cost
- The Vat increase is leading to cost increases across the board and Cosatu is going to protest against it at Parliament.
- The Petrol increases is leading to an effective inflationary increase on food cost for all workers, Cosatu is demanding a 2% wage adjustment for all workers, to counteract the effects of petrol price increases at end July
- The electricity increases is leading to increase household energy expenditure and Cosatu is going to challenge Nersa and Eskom on it
- The Foreign workers need greater support in the Country, from social welfare, so that the jobs are allocated to SA workers first
- The education crisis in the Western Cape is being exacerbated by the DA focus on privatisation and closing poor schools and attempts to turn schools into shebeens by selling alcohol
The Press Conference will be addressed by the New Office Bearers of Cosatu and will elaborate on the Cosatu position on the above points
For questions call Malvern De Bruyn
COSATU Western Cape Provincial Secretary at 081 325 9647