The National Education, Health and Allied Workers’ Union [NEHAWU] in KwaZulu-Natal will deliver a memorandum of demands at the University of Zululand on Thursday in relation to issues that badly affects both its members and students.
The memorandum will be delivered to the Minister of Higher Education and Training, Dr Blade Nzimande, who we believe has a big role to play in addressing the problems that currently engulf this institution of higher learning. As NEHAWU, we have tried on many occasions to find common ground with both the management and the university council, however, all our attempts have not yielded any positive results hence we have taken a decision to engage the Minister directly in trying to resolve a myriad of issues that affects both our members and students as well.
In the memorandum to be delivered to the Minister we demand the following:
· The Immediate removal of the university council and the Vice-Chancellor
· The unbanning of NEHAWU
· Independent reviewal of workers cases
· Fair wages for all workers and payment of all outstanding benefits
· End of victimization of both leaders of the union and students.
· Independent and proper forensic investigations.
· Data for all students.
· Safety and Security of student off campus.
· Prioritization of Local people for jobs and business.
NEHAWU will be accompanied by other structures of the Mass Democratic Movement [MDM], community organisations, local business organisations and the local taxi association.
The memorandum will be delivered under the following details:
· Date: Thursday October 29, 2020
· Time: 10am
· Venue: University of Zululand Main Campus 1 Main Road Vulindlela, kwadlangezwa, Empangeni
Members of the media are invited to attend and to cover the event.
For more information please contact NEHAWU Provincial Secretary, Cde Ayanda Zulu at 081 758 5199