The Congress of South African Trade Unions in Mpumalanaga fully supports the planned march by members of our affiliated union the National Union of Mine workers at Optimum and Koorinfontein Colliery mines.
Those workers will be fighting for the following issues:-
- That the operations of the mines are brought to back full functionality. This is after the corrupt GUPTAS lost ownership and operations rights of the mines.
- That the existing implemented rescue plan is brought to finality and a potential credible investor is sought to take over in order to save jobs of more than 2000 workers, which are on line.
- That those workers and creditors are paid what is due to them with immediate effect.
- More than 2000 workers working for the mines have not received their salaries for the past three months.
- That our government develop a clear strategy and approach to save jobs of more than 2000 workers and their families who are confronted with a bleak future.
- That our government develop urgent means to take full ownership of the company.
Details of the planned march are as follows:-
Date : 16 January 2019
Time : 09h00 (gathering): 11h30 (Handing over of memorandum)
Venue: Gathering point (Marabastad Old Depot – Pretoria: Handing over of memorandum Union Building – Pretoria
Media is invited