SACCAWU National Office Bearers are to brief the media on the concerted effort by Makro management to unfairly dismiss workers who are engaged in a protected strike. Management at Makro continues to place workers on suspension with the sole intention to dismiss them. This is unprecedented in the history of labour relations in the country to see these massive dismissals.
SACCAWU leadership and office bearers take this conduct by Makro very seriously. SACCAWU is to step up the fight for better wages and working conditions for workers at this establishment and will not be deterred by unlawful and callous tactics by Makro.
SACCWU has submitted the following demands to the company:
1. Across the board increase of R900.00 or 12% whichever is the greater
2. Minimum Wage R8000.00
3. An improvement of Commission from 10% on margin to 20% margin for Sales Person
4. Increase in Category 3 working hours from 160 to 195 per month
5. 13 Cheque to be made separate from the December salary
6. Uniform Allowance R100.00
7. Moratorium on Retrenchments for the duration of the agreement
Media is invited to a media conference that will be addressed by SACCAWU National Office Bearers on these dismissals and the course of action to follow.
Venue: SACCAWU House
Address: 11 Leyds Street, Braamfontein, Johannesburg
Date: 04 April 2023
Time: 10: 00
All media enquiries to be addressed to:
Head: Research and Media
South African Catering and Allied Workers Union (SACCAWU)
(011) 403 8333
073 956 3108